Vision

The Garden at Oswegatchie School is a sustainable organic garden where children get a hands on experience learning where their food comes from while developing an appreciation and respect for nature. The Garden will be a learning center to teach gardening as well as incorporating art, music, literature, math and science. It is a place where children are encouraged to join in and participate in the process of creating, developing and maintaining the garden!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Green Season


Is there a category that comes before novice? I am not sure, but if there is that is where I fall when it comes to garden knowledge. My husband falls more into the expert category. He has been gardening or studying gardening for over 30 years. He experiments and documents, tries and learns from his mistakes. He observes, and plans, and creates his own way of doing things. I  jumped on his gardening bandwagon because I've always loved playing in the dirt (it's not fun unless you are getting dirty) and because I'd never see him if I didn't get out in the garden with him. His love of gardening combined with my belief that children need to be out in nature is how this whole project was born. 

When I think garden I imagine bushels of red, ripe juicy tomatoes, abundant bright yellow summer squash, and zucchini you can't give away by August. I didn't think the garden was "producing" unless you had a rainbow to show for it. This morning's trip to the garden to water has made me rethink the definition of "bounty". Due to early plantings and cool nights, greens are the front runner of our late spring/early summer harvest. Lesson learned today: appreciate what you have now instead of wasting energy wishing for what is to come. I hope you enjoy some of the images that were this morning's zen.

sugar snap and snow peas

rainbow chard
Ford Hook Giant chard
Blue Curled Scotch and Judy's kale
3/4 lb. basil and oregano




 In total, today's harvest had a yield of nearly 6 lbs. Bringing the total of edibles harvested so far this season to 30 lbs.! Not bad for crops I didn't consider worthy of being called crops. The rest of the garden is coming along nicely as well. Garlic is nearly ready and onions will not be far behind. I spied the very beginnings of cucumbers and saw some of the beans have begun to flower. Beets, carrots, and radish are still going despite our late plantings. Our two types of corn are on track and the sunflowers continue to reach for the sky. Our pumpkins and squash are sitting pretty waiting for July's heat to send them into overdrive.















Our summer session garden club starts July 1. The children will be very busy tending, harvesting, and planting as well as learning about soil, seeds, and weather. Stay  tuned.....




1 comment: