We had a fantastic turn out for our Spring clean-up. Every grade level was represented and all the children were eager to work. I think they were all as anxious as I was to get outside and start playing in the dirt.
The first task was to clean out the perennial sign bed.
The children pulled out last year's spent annuals and dead headed the perennials. We saw a lot of new growth underneath the old dead branches.
Next, they got to work on the center perennial butterfly garden.
We saw bee balm, lambs ears, and yarrow pushing up out of the soil to make an appearance.
There was plenty of work to be done in the raised and tilled beds. The students cleared out last year's spent plants and pulled any stubborn weeds they found. After that, they top dressed each raised bed with fresh soil and compost.
|Building bamboo Teepees for the peas|
Peas are able to go in early so the before planting them we built a couple of teepees. Last year we didn't support our beans soon enough and they ended up wrapping around themselves and I think our yield was affected. This year we planned ahead and got the support up as soon as the crop was planted.
|Planting the peas :)|
|The end result (for now)|
We will be planting many companions with the peas to fill the beds to get the most yield we can. Companion plants keep pests away, attract beneficial insects, and look nice too.
Lettuce, chives, carrots, and beets can all be sewn directly now too. However, we ran out of time today so will be planting those next time.