Vision

The Garden at Oswegatchie School is a sustainable organic garden where children get a hands on experience learning where their food comes from while developing an appreciation and respect for nature. The Garden will be a learning center to teach gardening as well as incorporating art, music, literature, math and science. It is a place where children are encouraged to join in and participate in the process of creating, developing and maintaining the garden!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Early Results Look Promising

Squash bug within minutes after spraying
I don't want to get overly optimistic but the Bug Juice seems to be doing the trick! We debated watering this morning as rain is predicted for later this afternoon. The sky is overcast but I'm not convinced the clouds aren't going to burn off so we watered this morning just to be safe. The Garden is in an open field that gets direct sunlight for more than 8 hours a day. Water evaporates quickly and we don't want to take any chances with this project. 
After watering, I sprayed the tall sunflowers behind the Garden sign. Rob is overly cautious and didn't want to spray the veggies right away. Before spraying I noticed 2 Japanese beetles, 8 cucumber beetles and 3 squash bugs on the plants. As I began spraying, the cucumber beetles took off immediately! I made sure to thoroughly coat the tops and bottoms of the leaves as well as the stems. I walked away for 5 minutes to look at the rest of the garden. When I came back all of the cucumber beetles were gone, the squash bugs were belly up, and the Japanese beetles were motionless. Rob picked it up and confirmed it was dead. We watched as cucumber beetles circled, landed briefly and took off again. That coupled with the fact that the squash bugs were belly up convinced Rob to spray a bed of squash. We are still taking a wait and see approach before doing the whole garden. As Rob sprayed the squash, the cucumber beetles were leaving 
in a swarm!  
Rob applying the Bug Juice to the squash. If you look closely, you can see a cucumber beetle leaving.


We noticed lots of critters in the garden this morning, I'm happy to see some beneficials as well. I wish I brought my camera with the macro lens to get really good close-ups but am pleased with the ones I did get. Can you tell the good from the bad bugs?
 





No comments:

Post a Comment