Vision

The Garden at Oswegatchie School is a sustainable organic garden where children get a hands on experience learning where their food comes from while developing an appreciation and respect for nature. The Garden will be a learning center to teach gardening as well as incorporating art, music, literature, math and science. It is a place where children are encouraged to join in and participate in the process of creating, developing and maintaining the garden!

Monday, April 8, 2013

The seed is sprouting!

I love my job! I love going to work everyday and collaborating with warm, intelligent, creative people. Everyday I learn something new about  my co-workers that makes me proud to be part of such an amazing team. I am always touched by the beauty of so many of the souls I get to spend time with everyday. Today I was brought to tears (of joy) by our latest contribution to the school garden.



A while back I asked Michelle Messina if she would mind painting a sign for our school garden. Chelle is an accomplished jewelry designer, painter, and entrepreneur. One of her soulful paintings hangs in the main office here at Oswegatchie and most recently she was commissioned to paint a wall at Zen and Now in Niantic, CT. I was thrilled when she agreed to do our sign!



I told her of our plans for the garden to be a place where children (and adults too) could grow healthy bodies, minds, and imaginations. I see our garden as a place where a science lesson is taught side by side with an art lesson. I envision having story time surrounded by colorful blooms that attract butterflies and humming birds. I one day hope to have a group of children sell cut flowers and produce at the local farmers market to learn about marketing, customer service and finance. I dream of the garden being an inspirational place where children are inspired  to  write stories and poems. I pray the garden entices the myriad of talent from within our community of amazing families to share their talents and gifts. My greatest hope is for children who have never had a chance to play in the dirt come to the garden  and realize they love it and carry that new found love with them when they leave Oswegatchie and start gardens of their own. There is something so soothing and soul filling about sticking your hands in the warm dirt. Hope can be found in a garden. Patience is learned in a garden. Joy can be found in a garden. That is what I would like for all the children at Oswegatchie to have.

I seem to have taken the scenic route to get here but what I meant to say in this post is: the sign is done and it is gorgeous! Chelle captured the spirit of what we would like our garden to be. I can't thank her enough for such a phenomenal contribution!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Mrs. Terry! I am honored to be part of The Garden project. Your enthusiasm is palpable. You are already cultivating joy with your vision. Right on! :-)

    ReplyDelete